Thursday, January 1, 2009

Observations of God's Loving Care

Observations of God’s Loving Care
By Dan Langerock

Imagine a baby being born in the 1950’s with a birth weight of only 3 lbs. 7 ounces. That was me! According to the doctors, I wasn’t supposed to live. God had another idea.
Due to my small size I was in an incubator which affected my eyes through most of grade school. By second grade, I had to go to a school where they could deal with my worsening sight. This is where I learned to type with a large chart on the wall, and blanks on the keys. This special class helped me take tests and assisted me with anything I couldn’t handle in my regular classes.
During the time I was losing my sight, I was privileged to be a part of the Foundation for the Junior Blind. They took us to various events like The Hollywood Bowl, Cinerama, baseball games, and also had a camp in the summertime for us. The Lions Club drove us wherever we needed to go which was a blessing.
My mom, seeing me getting progressively worse vision, decided to show me all the beautiful things around me so that I would have a memory of them if I should completely lose my sight. Thankfully, my loss of sight never went to that limit.
After several eye surgeries into my early teens, I was able to see fairly well, although my right eye was always worse than the left. The right eye is blind now due to a retina detachment.
To add to the trial of what I was already going through, I also had epilepsy from an early age which plagued me until later in my life. At the present time, I have been seizure-free for over twenty years. Praise the Lord.
Unfortunately, due to these two strikes against me, I was never able to have normal dating relationships. I was mostly a loner who was very lonely. One day, during my second year of college I was so lonely and depressed I just sat on a bench and cried. God saw those tears because three months later I met my future wife, Cathie, in one of my speech classes. We have been married 33 years and are blessed with one married daughter. The Lord is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment