Wednesday, June 15, 2011

God Thinks Outside The Boxes

I was reflecting back on my life last night, and noticed that because of my blindness and epilepsy and other reasons, people had tried to put me in "boxes" of what they thought I should do with my life. All the while, God was directing my life outside the boxes, if I would listen.

I grew up with blindness from cataracts at birth, as well as epilepsy. I finally had to go to a special school that had a sight-saving class where I could use special equipment to do my schoolwork. After my birth when these problems surfaced, the doctor took my parents into his office and told them not to shelter me, but to let me live as normal of a life as possible. They didn't listen!

Whenever I tried to launch out in a new area, my Dad would say, "You can't do that because of your condition". My Mom who was my main encourager, had a phrase that didn't help me: "Are you sure you can do that?" So besides trying to fight the effects of these two things and others, I had to battle to keep following what God had put in my heart to be, a writer.

I tried a lot of different things but nothing seemed to work out as far as employment because I couldn't drive. I had jobs over the years, but nothing that really made a good living for me. I was a chaplain in a hospital for ten years where I learned to help people going through many problems, but I couldn't be a regular chaplain because of not driving. But I assisted the regular chaplain during his days off and vacations anyway. Now I am using these things I have learned to help people all over the world with my blogs and other means.

When we know God wants to have us do a special thing, it is hard to go against what people are trying to push on us. But if you really want to be fulfilled, you must follow what God is showing you, and you will be blessed.

God's ways are greater than ours, his thoughts supercede anything we could imagine. He has a magnificent plan for your life as well as mine. He will never abandon you or forsake you. He will be right there with you no matter what is happening in your life, but you must obey if you want to find the true purpose of your life.

People often try to put us in a box because they have a limited understanding of us, or are just trying to control us. God thinks outside the boxes, so dream big and use His wisdom to help others and watch what He will do for you. Do the things you can, and leave the things you can't to God. He is all-powerful and nothing is impossible for him.

Are you dreaming and obeying outside the boxes?

No comments:

Post a Comment