Monday, June 13, 2011

When You Want Something Too Much

When you want something too much, it clouds your judgment and you can easily hurt someone----maybe yourself---- in the process. Here's how:

Let's say you really want a relationship in your life but you are in so much of a rush you do it without thinking. You may get online, give out personal information that you shouldn't, then regret it later.

Sometimes God wants us to have a speedy relationship because He has a purpose in mind. This is what happened with my second wife and I. My first wife had died after many years of marriage, and I was completely devastated. Several months later, I met someone online. We communicated online and by phone, and married 10 weeks after meeting.

My family was mad at me, and some of my friends too. But we knew it was from the Lord because we put Him first in our relationship. I moved to her state a couple of months later and we have been happily married since. But this doesn't work for everyone.

We can let our emotions get in the way of our good sense and fall into the enemy's trap, regretting it for the rest of our lives. Normally, I would not have conducted a relationship like this, but I knew the Lord had sent this woman to me to help me with the next phase of my life and ministry.

Another time we may want something so much is when we are wanting something to grow like a church where we attend. Setting up programs is great if you have committed people, but if not it is just going to be frustrating. If you are in a big hurry for something to get done like having a choir, but no one shows up regularly, how is that going to affect you?

God has perfect timing for growing a church just like He does for our lives. Like putting a building together, there are certain things that need to be in place before others can happen. People are in the habit of wanting a whole lot of things, but they won't back up their wants with attendance so that you can count on them to be there. So weigh this factor before you add new programs to your church and pray about it. If God is clearly leading in this area, then great, but if not it is going to frustrate you and probably burn you out.

Here is one area this happens that has a lot of people trapped in debt----credit cards. Some people don't want to hear this one because they want instant gratification when they want something. If you spend beyond your ability to pay back, you are going to be piled high in debt. I did this twice in my life and it was horrible. The Lord finally provided for everything to be paid off and I have never done that again.

It is a big temptation because of the way marketing and society is set up. You see all these products on TV and they make it so easy to make a call and get one. But then you have to pay it back, and that is where the trouble lies. You end up ruining your credit and suffer for many years if not a lifetime for it.

The fourth area this can happen is when you are in a bad relationship and want to get away from abuse or whatever. You may do something illegal or adultery because your situation is so bad. There is help for you in these kinds of problems, but don't act impulsively or you will be paying the rest of your life for it.

Be careful when you want something so overwhelmingly because there is a trap waiting to get you if you aren't watching carefully. Pray about it, and put that want on the shelf. One time I thought of getting a karaoke machine for my first wife and I to minister in rest homes. I had just told her about my idea before I went to work that day. I called her a while later and told her one of my friends had one he couldn't sell at his yard sale and was bringing it over. What a miracle!

Watch for God's timing in every area of your life and you will be a lot happier. You will keep out of a lot of traps and you won't be deep in debt. Think and pray before you act, and watch how God will bless you.

No comments:

Post a Comment